Blue budgies have a bright coloring of various shades, and they can even have green, yellow, or white accents. This gives them a beautiful appearance, so you’ll want them to have the right name.
Whether you want your new budgie’s name to be cute, cool, funny, witty, exotic, or somewhere in between, good names for blue budgies are plentiful.
You can name your budgie based on its personality and color or do something entirely different, like picking a movie star or cartoon character name that you’ve always liked.
What Should I Name My Blue Budgie?
The Journal of Creation stated that budgies with the lightest blue feathers get this color from light interference. The texture of keratin in their feathers causes wavelengths to travel across them differently.
Since the keratin material is shallower, the light travels across the feathers at a greater distance, meaning that higher wavelengths cause more interference. That can leave some budgies looking a brilliant blue.
To get the best name for a blue budgie, you need to narrow down your options based on:
- Exact coloring: Some budgies are mostly blue, while others have yellow, white, or green accents.
- Personality: A feisty budgie might suit Rocket more than Sweetie Pie.
- Sex: There are unisex names to bridge the gap, but you may prefer Iris over Jonas for a female.
- Preferred theme: Blue plants, blue landscapes, blue gems, and blue cartoon characters are ideal.
- Favorite sounds: You can name the budgie after a word it likes to repeat or give it a song-related moniker if it likes music and singing.
- Age: Some names are timeless, while others are cute when a chick and ironic when grown up.
Decide what’s important to you, and select a name based on your preferred guidelines.
Blue Female Budgie Names
Female budgies are high-spirited and protective, making them loving companions with personality. You can pair these characteristics if your budgie has a dazzling shade of blue.
Here are good ones to choose for a girl budgie:
- Misty: This is derived from the word ‘mist,’ which represents a budgie’s light, misty blue color.
- Aurora: Meaning ‘dawn’ in Latin, it also describes the northern lights’ mystical phenomena.
- Iris: Symbolizes hope, trust, and valor.
- Abigail: It means to bring joy.
- Luna: Named after the moon goddess in Roman mythology.
- Serene: Symbolizing a budgie’s calm, peaceful nature.
- Royal: This is perfect for a budgie that acts like royalty.
- Dorothy: This means ‘God’s gift,’ but you may think of the Wizard of Oz and Dorothy’s blue dress.
- Cleo: Short for Cleopatra, this name means glory.
- Stella: This means ‘star’ in Latin.
- Jasmine: Of Persian descent, the name means ‘gift from God,’ referring to the jasmine flower.
- Crystal: This can refer to ice or glass; it sounds sophisticated.
- Melody: For the sweet tunes that your budgie sings.
Blue Male Budgie Names
Male budgies have friendly, gentle, and affectionate personalities, so they make friends quickly and are easy to pair with several other budgies.
The name ‘Ocean’ can reflect how deep your budgie’s blue feathers are, while ‘Scooter’ can reflect its high-energy lifestyle, constantly fluttering around its cage.
Here are some masculine budgie names to consider:
- Jey or Jay: After blue jays or the jaybird, both very talkative birds.
- Blue, Blu, or Bloo: After the budgie’s bright, vibrant color.
- Jonas: It means ‘dove’ in Hebrew and symbolizes a sign sent to the people.
- River: This is a popular name for boy budgies, especially those with mixed coloring.
- Ocean: This can reflect the deeper hues of a budgie’s feathers.
- Scooter: As a nickname for ‘Scott’ or symbolizes your budgie’s swift flight.
- Drizzle: A gentle name akin to rain or water.
- Falcon: Popular among birds, this name represents fierceness and power.
- Rocket: To highlight a budgie’s impressive speed in the air.
- Juggy: Of Indian origin, this name means ‘victory of blue.’
- Kipper: Perfect for budgies that are timid and shy.
- Jet: Ideal for a budgie that can’t stay still.
- Razz: Meaning’ undisputed winner’ in Arabic, this is ideal for a stubborn budgie.
- Kai: Meaning ‘sea’ in Hawaiian culture.
- Chad: A more common name, meaning ‘warrior.’
Unisex Names for Blue Budgies
When it comes to good blue budgie names, some of the best are unisex. They’re classic, timeless, and can be used with different spellings. Here are some good choices:
- Blueberry: A great name for a tiny, blue budgie, especially when it’s still a chick.
- Skye or Sky: This represents the color blue.
- Rain or Reign: This depends on the spelling, but it can mean the weather or royalty.
- Jaylin: A unisex name that means calm.
- Swift: Whether you associate this name with a budgie’s movement or Taylor Swift is up to you.
- Midnight: A cool name that gives a sense of mystery.
- Bluestar: A fun name that rolls off the tongue.
- Bluebell: After the lovely, indigo-colored flower.
- Star: Could be used to symbolize the night sky.
- Lollipop: This is a fun way to call out to your budgie.
- Blue Fire: A majestic, elegant name for blue budgies.
- Billie: Can be used for both male and female birds.
- Orion: After Orion’s belt.
- Jazz: This is a great name whether you like jazz music or want to keep the name short for ‘Jasmine.’
Blue And White Budgie Names
Many blue budgies have white feathers, giving them an icy appearance. If you want to highlight this beautiful shading and give your budgie a fantasy name, consider:
- Water Wing: Reminiscent of blue and white waves crashing on the shore.
- Frost Feather: This accentuates the white in your blue budgie’s wings.
- Cool Blue: Blue and white create a soothing, calming effect.
- Indigo: Since blue is the primary color, you can name your budgie Indigo, especially if it has purple overtones.
- Sapphire: Bright, vibrant blue.
- Azura: Meaning ‘blue’ in Arabic.
- Aqua: This word means ‘sea blue’ or ‘water’ in Latin; this is ideal for girl budgies.
- Sparkle: Typically used for females, the name means ‘glisten in light.’
Green And Blue Budgies Names
Blue budgies often have splashes and hues of green spread throughout their feathers.
This is perhaps even more common than white hints. According to Watchbird, budgies often have this color difference around their tail, making them look longer and sleeker.
The blue and green can blend to form a gorgeous turquoise or sea-green effect. To highlight this feature, you can pick one of these names:
- Minty: Can be used to symbolize the color, plant leaves, or the Greek name meaning’ defender.’
- Emerald: Originally Persian, the name represents a green gemstone.
- Shining Feather: A unique name that highlights the beauty of your budgie’s wings.
- Teal or Teale: This is a greenish-blue color, like your budgie.
- Spearmint: A mint commonly used for flavoring and aroma.
Good Names for A Pair of Blue Budgies
Budgies are social birds, quick to pair up with others and form meaningful bonds. There are countless entertaining and creative names to give a pair of blue budgies, such as:
- Sweetie and Pie: This is a cute way to refer to your adorable, affectionate budgies.
- Dawn and Sunset: A more regal name for friendly budgies.
- Peaches and Cream: These are perfect if your budgies go wild for treats.
- Salt and Pepper: Ideal for a pair of budgies with differing temperaments.
- Mojo and Jojo: After the villain from Power Puff Girls.
- Anna and Elsa: After the sisters in the movie ‘Frozen.’
- Lucy and Linus: The siblings from Charlie Brown.
- Winter and Spring: Perfect names for budgies that are opposites.
Cute Baby Budgie Names
Tiny and precious, you might think baby budgies are too adorable to give adult names. However, you may want a name with adorable nicknames for later. These names will help you bridge the gap:
- Coco: After the chocolate bean, a popular pet name.
- Rico: In Spanish, it means ‘a brave ruler.’
- Willow: A tree or shrub.
- Kiki: In French, it means ‘double happiness.’
- Berry: A short form of blueberry.
- Betty Blue: A little old-school, this name is derived from a 1986 French film.
- Tweety: After the Looney Tunes character.
- Ollie: Can be short for Oliver or Olivia.
- Minnie: It means ‘of the sea.’
- Millie: Can be short for numerous names, such as Melissa, Camilla, Mildred, Millicent, etc.
Funny Names for A Blue Budgie
Budgies are playful and teasing, willing to dance around and act out to get your attention. Matching this to a funny name makes your budgie even more endearing.
You can choose a name that reflects your budgie’s brand of humor. You can also choose a funny word that’ll make you laugh when you call it out.
Some pay homage to hilarious cartoon characters, hopefully making your budgie emulate their weirdness. If so, you should consider:
- Pipsqueak: A funny way to refer to your budgie’s size.
- Plucky: You can use this for a budgie that enjoys preening its feathers or if it shows courage in the face of difficulties.
- BamBam: After the Flintstones character.
- Toto: After the dog in Wizard of Oz.
- Babbles: This is ideal for your budgie’s constant chirping.
- Babs: This is a short and funny nickname for Babbles.
- Swan Bon Jovi: This is a bird pun based on the lead singer.
- Quacklemore: A bird pun on Macklemore.
- Meryl Cheep: A pun ideal for budgies that act like divas.
Cool and Exotic Names for Your Blue Budgie
You might want more exotic and sophisticated names for your budgie.
After all, not all budgies are as playful or social as others. Some are more reserved and mature, requiring a name that fits their behavior. These names can pair well with their unique personalities:
- Larmina: In Persian, it means ‘blue sky.’
- Saphira: A unique variant of Sapphire, it can represent the blue gemstone.
- Azure: In Spanish, it means ‘sky blue.’
- Celeste: Derived from Latin, it means ‘heavenly’ or ‘celestial.’
- Afina: A rare name, meaning ‘young doe’ or ‘blueberry’ in Hebrew.
- Andromeda: After the Greek goddess, or the galaxy.
- Nebula: Meaning ‘mist’ in Latin, it can refer to an interstellar cloud around stars.
- Lapis Lazuli: A blue stone said to enhance intellect and awareness.
- Comet: A small icy object that soars through space.
Famous Names for Your Blue Budgie
Pop culture, mythology, or history might inspire you to come up with famous names for a blue budgie. You can pick unlimited names from books, movies, songs, and famous personalities.
Here are some famous names for budgies to get you started:
- Cher: After the Goddess of Pop.
- Hedwig: After Harry Potter’s famous owl, which is ideal if you’re a Potterhead.
- Madonna: Another cultural icon for the Queen of Pop music.
- RiRi: After Rihanna, for the budgie that loves to break into song.
- Queenie: After the rock band, with a little twist.
- Prince: One of the most prolific artists in the music industry.
- Adele: After the English singer-songwriter.
- Calypso: A Greek goddess that’s mentioned in Homer’s Odysseus.
- Gatsby: From the classic novel, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Budgie names can be inspired by food, personalities, characters, nature, etc. One is sure to match your budgie’s vibe. Try mix-matching your options to find the right one.
Once you’ve chosen a moniker, you can teach your budgie its name.